Friday, July 23, 2021

Waiting to exhale

Since this odyssey started a week ago, waiting has been the one constant.

From waiting to see the doctor to holding our breath on test results, the space between occupies much of life. So it seems appropriate that I watch the Opening Ceremonies of the Summer Games as I wait to see the effects of my first chemo regime.

Those paragons of athletic perfection had to wait an entire extra year to do what they had trained to do most of their lives, and such skills so not lend themselves to inertia. You snooze, you lose is all too true with the demands of sport. So, I'm excited to see them get their chance.

 I didn't even know I was waiting until a weird back pain a month or so ago sent me to the doctor. Are you waiting if you don't know what you're waiting for?

One twist to these games is the Parade of Nations is based on the Japanese alphabet. I'll have to ask my son if he remembers it from high school, but it is not what we expected. Started with Ireland but not Iran and Iraq or Israel. And it's more equitable in some ways: Zimbabwe never really got much of a chance at the spotlight, following all the other countries.

I'm not sure I'm even going to have the energy to see Team USA. But I know they'll be great and will go onto to many medals and firsts and records, making us all proud.

And that is how I feel about these chemicals the doctors have sent coursing through my veins: A lot of people have used their prowess to concoct the best defense, and I'm ready to let it do its thing, whatever that brings. 

More to come...wait and see

2 comments:

Eileen H. said...

Beautiful post. Gave me lots to think about.

Hope you are feeling well this Saturday morning as the treatments do their work.

I have been trying to pare down what is in this 26-year old house. Hit the garage last week. Just did a second pass on the CDs that my kids tell me I don't need (first pass was a few years ago). Do you have any favorite artists or genre?

Me: the old stuff (Springsteen, James Taylor, Carole King etc) and the less old (Lumineers, Indigo Girls, Nathaniel Rateliff). And all Broadway tunes.

Take good care, my friend!

Eileen H. said...

Oh. And if you can stream, I would highly recommend "Ted Lasso". AppleTV. Slow start - need to watch about 4 or 5 episodes to really get what it is about. And some interesting literary references. xoxo