Monday, July 26, 2021

Great expectations

 Getting back to the Olympic parallels (not the apparatus), the huge hype over who's going to win what  sets up unrealistic ideas about what these humans can do.

Likewise, we always hear about the awful side effects of cancer treatments. My dear friend from Dallas must've done research and sent a early-attack pack of ginger chews. I hesitated to try before I needed one, not wanting to jinx things.

The Americans have had some success, but not in the big name sports. The earliest one I saw was the first woman to win foil fighting .We've since seen a brother-sister pair who both won gold in the sport (which escapes me). I think I saw something about a Colorado teen who  grew up in Rifle and won gold in, what else, air rifle.

So, it hasn't been a blockbuster Games so far, and I'm happy to say I haven't had any starring-role side effects either!! The hair is still thick as ever, and all food has stayed where it should be.

Olympians certainly have more folks cheering them on as I do, but I have to think the beautiful outpouring of affection from all corners of my life has had a positive effect on me.  No self-respecting spirit could resist the earnest thoughts and prayers sent on my oh-so-grateful behalf.

So no matter how many hairs find their way to the brush, or if a little of (not-too-bad) hospital food goes astray, I will remain incredibly touched and blessed by all of you. 

Thank you.

1 comment:

Dan Leftwich said...

You are worth the love and prayers that have been sent to you via the Field by so many. I am so impressed with the strength and good humor you have shown throughout this challenge. That, too, helps you get through the more difficult times. Keep blogging when the Medical Muse calls to you. Writing is a light that can open up new reservoirs of strength and compassion. You will return to good health soon.