Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Matchmaker, matchmaker, make me a match

The waiting game continues, toward a new goal: the only cure to this nefarious condition, stem cell transplant.

Many things need to line up just right for this to happen, but the team at Colorado Blood Cancer Institute seems to have worked that magic many times with great success.

First, I need to be in remission, which I am and hope to continue to be while this plays out.

Most importantly, though, is a donor, some selfless individual of Northern European lineage who will need to take several hours to give me my life back. The initial screen showed 30  potential matches, so I am hopeful.

From there, it is another hospital stay of 3-4 weeks, then a very compromised immune system that will require me to stay within 20 miles of the hospital for 90 days. (unfortunately, we live 28 miles away). 

There's no telling when this will commence, but it looks like I won't be doing much leaf peeping or early-season skiing this year. I may miss our first elk rutting, which I am told is a sight (and sound) to behold. And depending on the timing, the holidays may look very different this year.

But if it gets rid of those nasty cancer cells lurking in the my body, it'll be a small price.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh Kathy I hope they find you a perfect match soon😀❤