Friday, September 10, 2021

The other shoe

 Given my relative breeze through Leukland, I suppose I should have expected it might not all be clear sailing, or maybe paid attention when the nurse practitioner told me 90 percent of people in remission end up back in the hospital with an infection.

So here I am, and that's why I have not updated in a while. It really knocked me for a loop. Chills and fevers alternating throughout the day. And the docs are still not sure what's causing it. Through MRI and CT, I have had every part of me scrutinized. Sometimes that is more than you want to know...

The oncologist says sometimes it's just the body reacting to having no immune system,. So, while I wait for my parts to kick into gear, I'll share how great these women are.

M and C were my roommates and coworkers, spreading news in suburban San Antonio, the first professional job for most of us. Needless to say, we bonded big time. I don't remember who moved up first to the big -city San Antonio Express-News but she brought us along in time, and we added another 20-something single woman to our crew. Boy, we had some wild times, and I think that is where I learned to love cooking.

We did not attempt any of that (doctor's orders for me) this weekend, but I did want to offer the bounty of  our state. Olathe corn and Palisade peaches just had to be consumed. Unfortunately those and some other menu items were the very foods M was not to eat, she now knows.

Teaching Mah Jong to the group became exceeding difficult, as the sounds of distress intensified. Concern about my fragile system prompted me to jump ship, or in this case, wheedle a ride down the mountain to home. M needed a thermometer anyway.

The short-term rental the ladies found was a great place, with awesome views and very challenging access (More than one of the flatlanders--Texas and Virginia--commented, I can't even imagine driving this in the rain. I didn't dare correct them for at 3 am M was in serious enough shape to warrant a doctor and whatever lurked on the road. I'm not sure it would have had a chance against these ladies, though.

Of course we were sad to have not completed our long-lost adventure, but had a good time and are making plan for the next one: Within 20 miles of hospital? On call nurse? Thtt's traveling while elderly, I guess.

2 comments:

Carol said...

So sorry to hear about your setback … “may the force be with you … hang in there, Kathy. Thanks for keeping us up-to-date.

Laura said...

You are definitely doing a marathon. Stay strong! Continued prayers for you, your immune system and finding a match!